Is Tweak ReFocus a hearing aid?
ReFocus is an rechargeable personal sound amplification product – “PSAP” as defined by the United States Food and Drug Administration.
PSAPs are intended for non-hearing impaired consumers to amplify sounds in the environment for a number of reasons, such as for recreational activities. PSAPs are not intended to compensate for impaired hearing or to diagnose, treat, cure or mitigate disease.
What’s so special about Tweak ReFocus?
ReFocus utilizes the same electrical components found in advanced hearing aids.
- Sound quality – Full and natural, the result of highest quality components driven by exceptional audio engineering. So, it’s a combination of both hardware and software decisions.
- Digital technology – Delivers amplification only where you want it, automatic feedback control to prevent whistling, and fast-acting compression to improve audibility of soft sounds and softens sudden loud sounds.
- Personalized amplification – So unique that it’s patented. You can try out different amplification profiles and then lock in what you like best. From that point forward, Tweak remembers your settings, so you can just “set it and forget it”.
- Fine tuning – Once you’ve set your overall amplification preferences, you still have a volume control to further adapt to different situations. This is a rare combination, never before seen in a PSAP.
- Rechargeable –
Does Tweak come in different styles or models?
Yes, Tweak is available in Simply Tweak, Focus+T, and ReFocus models. Simply Tweak is available in beige while Focus+T and ReFocus come in two colors – beige or metallic grey.
What kind of battery does it use, and how long will it last?
Tweak ReFocus uses a lithium ion rechargeable battery. The battery life of a full charge is approximately 30 hours. Keep in mind some functions of the amplifier (volume level, noise compression, etc.) require more energy than others. You may find the battery needs recharging sooner than 30 hours. Once the voltage drops below 0.85V, ReFocus emits six sets of double beeps then shuts down.
Time to fully charge: 3-1/2 hours
How can I tell if a tube is for the right or left ear?
The thin tubes are marked with red lettering for the right ear and blue lettering for the left ear.
What’s included with the Tweak ReFocus?
Each Tweak comes with a handy pocket-size carrying case, instruction manual, quick start guide, and warranty card. There are also two tip/tube accessories packs included, giving you multiple choices for the best fit.
What if I need a different size tip or tube?
Since the thin tube delivers amplified sound from Tweak into the ear, it’s important for the thin tube and tip to fit properly in the ear. If you need a different size, other tube lengths and tip sizes are available at www.TweakHearing.com or by calling 1-888-815-3240.
Is it necessary to replace the tips and tubes?
Yes, the thin tube and tip need to be changed periodically, typically 2 or 3 times per year. When the tube or tip become soft, discolored, kinked or damaged, obtain replacements at www.TweakHearing.com or by calling 1-888-815-3240.
If I’m not fully satisfied, can I return it?
Tweak comes with a 100% money back guarantee for the first 30 days after purchase. You may return your product to the place of purchase for any reason within the first 30 days to receive a full refund of the purchase price excluding any shipping, handling or delivery charges.
Can I adjust the volume?
Yes, even after you have “locked in” your listening preferences, you still have flexibility to quickly adapt to different environments. Tap the upper or lower portion of the rocker switch to increase or decrease the volume.
Can Tweak ReFocus be reset?
Yes. After wearing Tweak ReFocus, you may decide you want to try a different amplification profile than you initially selected. Tweak can be reset with a few simple steps. Refer to instruction manual.
Does the device come with a manufacturer’s warranty?
Tweak ReFocus is covered by a limited warranty against defects in material and workmanship. This warranty applies to the original owner for 6 months from the date of the sale to customer. See the warranty card for complete details.
How can I extend the warranty?
A six-month warranty extension is available for purchase or can be provided at no charge with the user’s validated purchase and regular use of a Dry & Store® appliance. See the warranty card for complete details.
What if my Tweak ReFocus needs service?
Call 1-888-815-3240 or email support@TweakHearing.com for assistance. You will be provided a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number and instructions to send in your Tweak for service.
How to Set Up ReFocus
Make sure Tweak ReFocus battery is fully charged. While wearing the amplifier, you are ready to choose an amplification setting.
- Start out in a quiet environment. The first time you turn Tweak ReFocus on, it will be at the lowest amplification setting. How does it sound?
- To try the next level of amplification, press and release the upper portion of the rocker switch. You will hear two beeps, indicating you are now in Amplification Setting 2.
What you are doing is sampling the available acoustic settings for quiet environments. There are five different settings for you to try. Choose the one that sounds best to you – most natural, most helpful volume level.
- You can press either the upper or lower portion of the rocker switch to try out the different amplification settings.
- Once you’ve made your decision, press and HOLD either section of the rocker switch for six to eight seconds, until you hear a long beep. This procedure locks in your chosen amplification setting. Three programs are now available: Quiet, Noise, and Telecoil.
Congratulations, your setup is now complete! Tweak ReFocus remembers your preferred amplification setting from now on.
NOTE: Programs 4 and 5 are designed for the double-flanged tips. Feedback is to be expected if the sleeve or vented domes are used.
How to Use Tweak ReFocus
Once you lock in your amplification profile, Tweak ReFocus remembers your preferred amplification setting from now on. Every time you turn on your ReFocus it will start out in the Quiet program, at the amplification level you locked in previously.
You have three listening modes: Quiet, Noise, and Telecoil. Use the program button to switch between Quiet, Noise, and Telecoil modes.
To change modes:
Press and hold the rocker switch (either upper or lower) for two seconds. Once you release the switch, you will hear a special sound that indicates which program you have just entered. Quiet program–you will hear a beep. Noise program–you will hear a “shhhh” sound. Telecoil program–you will hear a dial tone. In all programs you can still make minor adjustments to the volume by quickly tapping the rocker switch.
Fine-tuning Your Tweak with the Volume Control*
The rocker switch can also be used to adjust the volume. To increase the volume, tap the upper portion of the rocker switch. To decrease the volume, tap the lower portion of the rocker switch.
*Volume control is not available until after setup is complete.
Note: Each time you turn your amplifier ON, we suggest setting the volume at a low or comfortable level to limit feedback while placing the amplifier on your ear.
How to Reset Tweak Focus+T
After wearing Tweak for a while, you may decide you want to try a different Amplification Setting than the one you initially selected. However, if you simply want more bass sound, remove the vented dome tip and attached one of the closed dome tips instead. This may resolve the issue and resetting is no longer necessary.
Tweak may be reset by following these simple steps.
- Turn off the amplifier by pressing and holding the power button for 2-3 seconds then release.
- Press and hold the upper or lower portion of the rocker switch.
- While still pressing and holding the rocker switch, turn on the amplifier.
- Continue holding the rocker switch. Wait at least 15 seconds before releasing the rocker switch.
- Turn off the amplifier.
- When you turn on the amplifier again, Tweak is reset.
You may now proceed to select a new Amplification Setting.
Digital signal processing
Patented adjustment technology
Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Average use on a single charge: 30 hours of continuous use
Weight 0.125 oz. (3.56 gm) – instrument only, no tip and tube
Available Colors: Beige and coming soon, Gray
Warranty and Service Details
Warranty and Service – Domestic
The manufacturer’s warranty period is 6 months.
This warranty covers any defect in material or faulty production, specifically excluding batteries, domes, and tubes. Any and all warranties are invalidated if the Tweak instrument has been tampered with or altered in any way, if the serial number has been altered or removed, or if any repairs have been made without authorization. The manufacturer reserves the right to repair or replace the instrument or any defective part, at manufacturer’s expense, within the limits of the warranty.
This warranty does not include a promise of specific listening improvement.
Warranty service must only be performed by an authorized service center. Service performed by any unauthorized personnel voids all warranties. If service is needed, call 1-888-815-3240.